Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Candle Making for Gifts

After reading an interesting post on Boogiemum about candle making, I finally found the time to do the same project with Little A. I was a little nervous, as I have not made candles before, but it actually turned out to be much easier than I anticipated, mostly because the directions on Boogiemum were so clear and she included pictures.

I started with a pound of Parowax Household wax, which I cut up with my chocolate fork and dumped into an old coffee can. I put this can into another pan that was filled with about 3 inches of water, making a double boiler of sorts. Over medium-low heat, the wax melted. When it was almost done, Little A threw in a green crayon that she had broken up. At the same time, I added some bits from a broken green candle that I found in the candle drawer. Turns out it was a nice candle from Australia, so it provided some lovely fragrance.

After all the wax and crayon bits and broken candle were melted, I poured 1/2 an inch of wax into my mold (an empty fake-o egg container) and nestled in the top of a taper that I purchased on sale at Longs. Then I added a cup full of ice, and more hot wax almost to the top of the taper. Then I let it cool for an hour.

Since I had some melted wax leftover, I also filled a couple silicon muffin cups, adding wicks that I salvaged from the broken candle.

We repeated the whole process again with red crayons and our final result is very Christmassy. I plan to package a red and green candle together for each recipient.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh, they came out nice! I experimented a little the other day and added some essential oil and surprisingly it didn't have any affect on the outcome of the candle. They smell great, too!

Gudrun said...

I liked how they turned out, but I want more of the lacy pattern. Do you think I could just add more ice?